Sunday, February 19, 2012

Respite for the long weekend

Akila went to respite on Friday evening until Monday afternoon. There is no school on Monday so we can celebrate our presidents (yeah, right). She called me on Friday night wanting me to bring her a doll head that you style hair on. I was out to dinner with some friends and said I couldn't.

This respite provider is about 20 or 25 minutes away. I do not want to set a precedent of running up to her whatever she decides she wants. If it was something important, like her hair scarf, or teddy bear, I would make it happen. But not for a doll. She has called each day wanting the doll. The respite provider texted yesterday and today that Akila was having some rough times but it was working.

She is getting comfortable and showing her stuff. I told the provider that she is seeing a very mild version of Akila, as she was calling me and telling me how Akila had been rude and disrespectful. The call with Akila was reminiscent of when she was in the crisis home, and would call us to complain about something. You can't even understand her, as she gets mumbling/bellowing.

Bottom line, I am very grateful for the respite. Right now, we are in a stage, not a fun stage, but a stage where we are trying to get by each day without extreme violence. The respite weekend helps with this goal.

No comments: