Friday, August 8, 2008

Keeping Busy

Not sure if I have mentioned this, but I am ready for school to start. Kari has a widgit thingie on her blog that counts down to the first day of school, down to the seconds. 27 days to go. Can't wait. I did mention the neighborhood challenges we have had with Akila and they are not getting any better. So needless to say, we are not home much.


I think my husband thinks I'm crazy, on the run all the time. But I can't stand to be home for an entire day. The best thing, is that my best girlfriend, Juli, bought a boat last week, and it came with a slip on Lake Minnetonka. I grew up on a lake boating daily in the summer and have been on the boat 3 times this week with her. Twice with all our kids, she has 4 like I do (although two of them are teenagers, and great helpers). It is a little crazy with all the kids, especially last night. Akila was not cooperating. Not fun.


Akila's 9th birthday was on Tuesday, and I am glad it is over. The two weeks or so leading up to it were getting long, several rages over the fact that "today" was not her birthday and her birthday was taking too long. Tomorrow is the combined birthday party for her and Imani, who's 8th birthday was on June 30. I will really be glad when it is over.


One of the gifts we got Akila is a mannequin head that they use in beauty school. Akila is obsessed with doing hair and those Barbie heads or toy ones, have nasty hair that tangles. This did not cost much more than the toy head, and the hair should last longer. Akila loves it. The bummer, is that it is quite ugly. She doesn't seem to notice though. Check it out:




In two weekends, a mom of one of Akila's friends has offered to take all four of our kids for an overnight. What a blessing. This lady grew up with a mom who did foster care and an adopted brother with FASD, so she really gets it. I am very thankful for her. I know that when Akila goes to her house, she gets it. I have of course not told my kids yet, and I won't until the day of, maybe the day before. A lesson learned.


1 comment:

the johnson crew said...

hilarious! good for akila... now kalynn will want one...

i miss you. where did the summer go?

i am anxious for school to start... my 3 oldest will be in school... but i know that won't solve all our problems. - i am looking forward to giving anna more attention... she needs it.

miss you, janelle