Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Panels

I have been on a couple of parent panels at different conferences over the past few weeks.  Well, last week wasn't a parent panel, but I was the parent on the panel at a child welfare conference.  I get am on a panel in a few weeks at a church also.  I like panels.  Not a lot of prep work.  :-)

Usually after a panel, one or two people come up to chat or ask questions.  At one of the panels, an adoptive father came up to me.  He wanted my blog info and started to tell me about his son.  His son is not diagnosed with FASD, but the signs all point in that direction.  The adoption was through the county they live in, and it does not sound like the county was forthright with info nor have they been super helpful.

I saw tears in this mans eyes, and I can't forget them.  He obviously loves his son, and is struggling.  I wish I lived closer and could offer more support.  I did email him today with a training that is coming up and is not too far from where he lives.  But I remember the loneliness I felt in this journey before I started going to trainings and meeting other parents with similar struggles.  I remember the loneliness I felt before my husband really truly started to understand the struggles that lied ahead of us.  I remember the loneliness I felt before I started blogging and met all of you.

My heart is going out to this man and his family.  They have been added to my daily prayer list.  As have the several other families who have emailed me in the last 3 weeks or so (I think I have heard from 5 separate families that I have never met before- met on the blog that is).  There are so many of us who are struggling.  Some are more isolated than others.

Are you feeling isolated today?  Lonely?  You are not alone.  I could not imagine going through this journey without my personal relationship with Christ.  I lay my sorrows at his feet each day, and my joys.  But I also need all of you.  I am not alone.  You are not alone.  Thanks for being there for me.  Let me know if you need me as well.

2 comments:

fasdintervention said...

What a nice message of support. I'm sure many parents can relate.

Some of the families you're referring to might find this blog helpful:

http://fasdintervention.wordpress.com/

The "FASD Interventions Across the Lifespan" blog is run by the Intervention Network Action Team (iNAT) of the Canada FASD Research Network (CanFASD). http://www.canfasd.ca/networkActionTeams/initiative2.aspx

The goal of the blog is to share current news, events, learning opportunities, and research on for interventions for individuals affected by FASD across the lifespan. We hope to share relevant intervention information in a way that is accessible to everyone.

Please feel free to check it out and pass the information along!

Laurie said...

Oh, Barb. I love you. I don't know you other than through this blog, and I am so incredibly blessed. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I will be praying for this family, too.

Laurie