Saturday, April 26, 2008

Summer's Approaching, I Think

You wouldn't know it by the ridiculous snow outside, but summer is almost here. I think there are 29 days of school left, if I'm counting right. I am a summer girl. Love summer, love the sun, love the beach and all that stuff. I once longed for summer. In the last several years, I have started to dread it a bit. This is because 3 months with Akila home a lot more, is a tough idea to swallow. Last year at this time, I was trying to find activities for all the kids, and in particular, for Akila.

I found a program in North Mpls where we live last summer that was a day camp, all day every day for the entire summer. I called the coordinator and asked if we could do 2 or 3 days a week as I didn't want Akila to be gone everyday. She said that wouldn't work out. It was even a free program. So we did other things and it worked out fairly well.

Well, as I sit and reflect on how much Akila's behaviors have gotten more challenging in the past 6 months, I am ready to sign her up for the entire summer, and I barely feel guilty about it. I called the program last week, they won't be running it this summer. There goes my idea. Now I'm looking for a different program, that is affordable. I do have to be very thoughtful on what I would sign her up for, especially as I think about the recent problems she has been causing in the dance classes.

I did write a letter and handed it out last Monday to the dance parents. We will see if anyone says anything about it this week. I also sat through the class and Akila was very good. She was quite obsessed with me watching her the entire time. I was basically not allowed to blink or she came over to me. It worked fairly well.

I'm exhausted and going to bed shortly. I got on a bus with my former colleagues and Youth Advisory Council members on Thursday night at 10 pm, drove all night (and did not sleep a wink) to the St. Louis, Missouri area. Arrived there at 7:30 am, changed clothes, had breakfast and went to Evan's funeral at 10:30. Left Missouri at 2:00 pm and arrived home last night around midnight. The funeral was lovely and I think his parents were quite moved to have a busload of Minnesotans show up. He was a great young man.

Got to get up this morning and bring all 4 kids to the dentist, not fun (especially when exhausted). It actually went fairly smoothly compared to what Michael and I were expecting (last time, Akila had some difficulties). I am very ready for this next week to start and to try to get back into the swing of a "normal" life. Dream on Barb!

No comments: