Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Loving and hating spring

I love spring, but not everything about it. I love the obvious, the nice weather after a long winter of being cooped up. I don't like the issues it can cause at bed time. And I don't like the neighborhood kid conflict issues that it brings, especially with Akila.

I can tell it is going to be a rough spring and summer in the hood. Last night, Akila had a hard time winding down at bedtime, even with the melatonin that usually works wonders with her. I put her to bed and about 15 minutes later, Imani shouted over the stair railing that Akila was in her room. Akila wanted to sleep in Imani's room. Not an option.

I couldn't get her back in her room. Because her room is too dark, and it is too far from the bathroom. It is the same distance as Imani's room. But this is what she was stuck on. Her room is too far from the bathroom, dumbhead! I heard it over and over and I could not get her calmed down. It took forever.

Then tonight, she was outside playing with kids, and had a fit over coming in, even with extra time, and several warnings. It was not pretty. She threw several things, broke a really nice new water bottle and just about sent Michael through the roof.

I should give her some credit though, or myself maybe. We had ten kids here for the majority of the night. A family in our babysitting co-op who have six kids, ranging from 1 to 10 years of age, were here from 4:30-7. They were really well behaved kids, and Akila was pretty in control while they were here, which helped me to be in control.

I forgot what it is like to have a baby around. Had to mix some rice cereal up and could hardly remember how. It was fun, but I'm glad I don't have a little one anymore. On second hand, Akila was much easier when she was one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean - My little guy sleeps with the sun. when the suns up at 5:30, he thinks he should be too. We'll be getting blackout curtains soon, methinks.