Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gilligan

I am so sick of the TV options that are on now-a-days. I was just saying to Michael last week that there are never any prime time shows that are appropriate for kids. I remember watching Little House on the Prairie and other shows like Different Strokes (an interesting show looking at my current family), Charles in Charge, Happy Days, and many other shows, that were not so "risque" as the shows of today's standards.

The only show my kids currently watch is Extreme Home Makeover. Sometimes I let them watch American Idol or Dancing with the Stars- but those shows are so full of "sexiness" and I don't even like that. I am very desperate if I am letting them watch those shows, and it rarely happens. Actually, Hezekiah in particular, loves the Biggest Loser. And they are pretty good on that show at focusing on the health aspect of weight, so I am OK with that show as well.

During spring break, I realized that the local video rental store has the Gilligan's Island series and I rented the 2nd year series. The kids have loved it, even became obsessed with it. Now, I realize that Ginger and even Mary Ann, are quite sexy. But they are not too bad compared to today's standard. They like the show so much, that I just got on-line and ordered the complete series of Gilligan's Island.

I think I might also look into trying to get the Adams Family, Munsters, Brady Bunch and some others for when I really need something to pull out of the air! I can't wait to watch them all!

7 comments:

GB's Mom said...

So much better than the junk today!

the johnson crew said...

we just ordered the house on the prairie today...

that is great tha tyour kids love gilligan.

AKBrady said...

We have the Daniel Boone series and Zorro and the old, old black and white version of The Hardy Boys when it was found on the Mickey Mouse show. My kids love, love, love them all. We don't do television, either. I notice my youngest gets quite the attitude after being allowed to view something on tv.

Kari said...

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour....

Now look what you started! ~Kari

~Dinah said...

My kiddos love the Andy Griffith Show. :D Head over to the BBC for som Mr. Bean!

Cori said...

I like Brady Bunch because it's one of the few 'current' shows with kids/for kids that doesn't spend the show teaching kids that being sneaky just means that you're smarter than your dumb parents etc. The 'kid' shows today are pretty derogatory towards parents.

DynamicDuo said...

Years ago we started the Little House on the Prairie series, we now have 7 years worth. As the girls grew older we got them the 7th Heaven series, they still at almost 16 watch Little House alot. We also bought Gilligan, Bonanza, Adams Family, Munsters, and various other sitcoms from back when we were kids. Our girls don't really like animation, they want to see real people/kids, could be because they never had TV as young children. We watch alot of PBS or DVD's here, they want to watch the crappy shows and want to watch the sexy, foul languaged, inappropriate shows.... we have to monitor pretty heavy or watch with them.