Thursday, February 26, 2009

School stuff and stuffy nose

I have been fighting a head cold this week. I feel like a wimp. It is not a really bad one, small cough, little bit of snot, but I am exhausted. Today was better, thankfully-since tomorrow is when Akila goes to my high school friends house for the weekend. My other three kids are each having a friend sleep over tomorrow night, not sure I'm ready for that. Should be fun. I keep telling myself that.

Yesterday, Wednesday, I got one of those automated messages from our school. It was letting me know that the after school cooking class that Akila is in on Tuesday and Thursdays is canceled starting today. One day notice. The session isn't even half way over. I was not happy. I can't imagine how this affected working parents. But I honestly told my friend today that it was worse for me. Ha. How selfish is that?

The two days a week that Akila is in this after school program, are what I use as our respite or PCA since we don't qualify for any services. These two days are when my other kids can get home, and I can focus on them for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I can't tell you how bummed I am about this. Urrgghh.

Also, we got a letter from the Minneapols school superintendent. My kids go to an integration school which has 11 school districts as members, including Mpls. Mpls has decided to pull out of the partnership. The letter was clear as mud. There is a meeting next week, which I am dreading. It will be full of whining parents. I understand the decision, and I just want to know more clearly what it means. I love our school and am really happy with my kids there. But I know that things change and if I have to choose a different school, I will.

We are for sure safe for the next school year, so if we need to find a new school, it would be for when Akila is entering 6th grade- middle school. This is not good. Akila cannot attend a large Mpls middle school, it will eat her alive.

Our school, Interdistrict Downtown School, is a K-12 school. Each grade level has somewhere around 40 students. This small size is great for Akila and I have always thought that it would be a great fit for her in middle school and high school. Everybody knows who she is, and watches out for her. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, I have to believe that there will be some kind of "grandfathering" or something for students who already attend the school.

Needless to say, I am annoyed with the school system this week. They are messing with my system and they are doing it on a week when I'm not feeling good. Not a good idea.

No comments: