Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm laughing!!

Well Akila's weekend at Lori and Curt's went really well, they did a fantastic job with her. We had a very calm weekend and lots of fun. We went to Chuckie Cheese, and the Mall of America.

It is a weird feeling. The normal drama is gone, the rages, the sassing, the constant conflict. It is calm, and kind of peaceful, but yet not. Because you feel the hole, the void. It is good, do not get me wrong. We need it, all of us, including the other three kids, and including Akila. But we are all constantly aware that we are not whole when Akila is gone. It is God's beautiful way of reminding us what a blessing Akila is. I missed her. I was glad to have a break. I was glad she came home.

When I talked to Lori on Sunday afternoon before they brought her home, she was telling me about a sweatshirt and some wash clothes that Akila was going to keep. Smart lady to let me know. I asked her if she had checked her backpack and she said she had found some "extra" stuff in it at different times throughout the weekend and had taken care of it. Fun.

There was some minor conflict, some name calling and issues like that. But if that is as bad as it gets, then that's pretty good. And Lori and her family were very understanding. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them all.

And today, I was laughing. I went into Akila's room after the kids left for school and found a pair of underwear on the floor that were not Akila's. She stole underwear. This is funny for a couple of reasons.

I remember about two years ago or so, when my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Dan and Tara, took Akila for a weekend. When we picked Akila up, and were in the van getting packed up, Tara came out to the van and checked Akila's underwear. She had just bought new underwear for her girls and Akila had been eyeing them. Very smart lady!!! It was funny, but smart. Why am I not that smart yet?

Then tonight, I laughed even harder. Zeke came to tell me that Akila had lifted her shirt and shown him her bra. Her bra? What? Later, I checked, and sure enough she has stolen one of the Schmidt girls training bras. I can't stop laughing. I must remember next time to check under her clothes. What next? Cavity searches?

2 comments:

The Accidental Mommy said...

Hi- I found you from Torina's blog. I totally know what you mean about having a normal day vs. a regular day. To have that short break is enough to remind you what you thought your life would be like. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pool toy pit!!!! I quite insanely want one now! We live in north- west Wisconsin, so a lot of the same weather.

Sheri said...

Barb, I just gave you an award . . . http://sherific.blogspot.com/2009/03/aaaww-shucks.html