Friday, February 19, 2010

I'm very passionate about that dictionary

Two more rough days. Yesterday, when I picked Akila up afterschool, she was yelling and swearing before she got into the van. The entire ride home is full of yelling and drama. I am contemplating only picking up Akila, and having the other 3 ride the bus home. She is so mean to them on the ride home, threatening to kill them, yelling at them if they try to tell me something about their day, etc. It may be easier for all involved if they ride the bus. I have to think about this.

Anyway, we got home yesterday, and had one hour before the rollerskating fundraiser. It was one of the longest hours ever. I had to restrain her multiple times, as she thought the jeans Imani put on were hers. Then she decided they are a girls at school and that she "accidentally" took them. I can't keep track of clothes. The girls are pretty close to wearing the same size, we get hand me downs, and I sometimes put clothes in the wrong drawers. But these definitely are not Akilas, I thought they were Imani's. They might not be either.

But I was not going to make Imani change. And this made Akila furious. I hadn't even told her yet that she was not coming rollerskating. Michael got home at 6:05 and the 3 kids and I bolted. He had to hold her back as she was sobbing, raging and totally nuts. We got home at 8:20 or so, and the two of them were playing the Wii. He said she had just calmed down at 8:00, after threatening to stab and kill him, and calling him all sorts of names. And after tearing through our bedroom, throwing all of my clothes out of the cabinet and onto the floor, rifling through my jewelry, which I found in her room this morning.

Tonight was not fun either. The three kids were working on homework, and Imani was using a dictionary to do her vocabulary stuff. Each girl got a dictionary from the school, but we have not been able to find Imani's for over a month, so she uses Akila's. This is an issue every month, if she sees Imani using it. She saw her using it tonight, and totally lost it.

You would think this dictionary is the most important item in her life. Here are a few things she had to say about the special dictionary:
  1. The dictionary is very special to me
  2. I am very passionate about that dictionary
  3. It means the world to me
  4. It is my favorite dictionary
There were several other loving things she said about the dictionary that have escaped me. I ended up having to restrain her as she was getting violent.

She also spent the night trying to talk us into taking her somewhere. She cannot understand how nervous we are to take her anywhere right now with her explosiveness. Michael is planning on taking her out to run errands tomorrow, and I am hoping he takes his time, takes her to a movie or two, maybe at the theatre in Brainerd. That's a good idea.

1 comment:

GB's Mom said...

Sorry Akila is having it so hard. Glad you and the other three escaped for a couple of ours. Praying that piece comes your way, if only fotr a little while