Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tough night

I messed up. Monday night, I was pointing out to Michael that Akila had over one week of good behavior (this means behavior that would pop most parents eyes out, but is pretty good for a kid with FASD). He pointed out to me that the week was just starting. He was right.

Last night, she was horrible. She and Hezekiah got into a little tussle, and she could not get out of a really bad mode. I ended up having the other 3 kids go into Imani's room to play where they could lock the door. Of course, all this was happening as I was trying to make dinner, and Michael was not home yet (around 5:30). She was upstairs threatening to kill Hezekiah, to stab him, calling him a f***ing a**hole and many other nasty things. When I went up to try to calm her down, she only escalated, and I was truly being very calm myself.

I had to go into Imani's room for a minute to instruct the kids to not talk about Akila or her behavior, as they were (not in a mean way, they were just all processing), but Akila could hear them and it was making her get more mad. As I was in the room with them with the door locked, Akila kicked the door and I can't believe it didn't break. It was so loud and it really scared the kids. She did it twice and then when she heard me coming out, she ran into her room and locked the door.

I went down to the kitchen to get the key, took a minute to compose myself and really prayed for a few minutes, and then went up into her room. She was sitting on her bed, and she was practically foaming at the mouth. She could not stop perseverating on Hezekiah and the fact that he hit Akila- this was of course after she had hit him a couple of times ( and he hit her on the forearm and not very hard). She was swearing and totally out of sorts. I stayed in the room, trying to calm her down, distract her, etc. Eventually, I left her in her room, and returned to make supper.

She came in and out of her room, and made her presence known. At some point, she came downstairs, and I got her on the computer playing a game and was finally able to get her to settle down, but she was in and out of it all night. Very quick to anger. Very.

I don't think today is going to be any better, not if this morning is an indication. She was refusing to take her meds, and was very explosive. I wasn't sure if we were going to make it to the bus even. Thankfully we did. I have decided that we are going to try to ride the bus to school, and I pick up after school. This is quite selfish on my part, but I was losing just under 2 hours total of my peaceful daytime when I am able to get things done, regroup and work. Now I only lose 1 hour. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Sorry Akila hit a rough spot. It was great that you were able to be calm and not buy into it. I am glad you stole an extra hour for your day- sanity is SO important when raising these kids.

Megan said...

Whoa - bad night. I think that it is the irrational explosivity that exhausts me on days like this. The constant walking on egg shells or trying to repair the damage the explosive child leaves in their wake after it is all over. Praying for better days for us all - and the grace to make it through the tough ones.