Thursday, June 3, 2010

5th grade graduation

Akila graduated last night from elementary school. I have mixed emotions. Actually, they're not so mixed. I am dreading middle school. This comes from a youth worker who worked professionally with middle and high school students for the past 20 years. I absolutely love teenagers. I don't think I am going to like my own though.

Last night ended up being when I had the neighbor kids overnight as their sister's intake meeting got pushed back a day due to some excessive raging at the hospital and a minor injury she sustained. So they went with to graduation. Before it was time to go, Akila changed into some sweat pants, and double tank tops. I told her she should go and get changed into something dressy and she said this is what she was going to wear.

I was trying really hard to not turn it into a power struggle. You can't really imagine how she was looking, but just know that she also got up at 5 am yesterday and re-did her hair on her own. It was quite goofy looking with bobbles in weird places. After a full day, the hair style looked even more wild. So after multiple attempts to get her to change her clothes, I let go without getting mad. I got a bag and put two dresses in it and some shoes, hoping that when she got to school and saw other kids dressed up, that she would change her mind.

Imani was also having her first band concert at the graduation. Imani went upstairs and got on a dress, and when Akila saw her, she wanted to change. Whew. It all worked out, and I was very glad that I had not pushed her harder to change. Score for mom (I have had very few scores lately).

Graduation and the concert went fine, and so did bed time. Now, I gear up for the next 4 days full of dance recitals. I still don't know how I got myself into this dance world, it is so not me. Tonight is dress rehearsal, and I have a sitter hired who is going to be here after school when the kids get home as I have to be at the school earlier for the little kid rehearsal (I am in charge of selling tickets and all the logistical junk). Then the sitter will bring Akila to the school at 6:30, stay with her, supervise her, and bring her home after her last dance. I am so relieved to not have to worry about her.

Dress rehearsal is always chaotic, and most years, I have had to have all 4 kids with me since I have to be there earlier and Michael picks them up on his way home from work. There are always issues. I am sure there still will be, but they will be way fewer. We have 4 recitals, one Friday, 2 Saturday and one Sunday. Akila dances in both on Saturday. I have my niece set up to be Akila's aide all day on Saturday. I did this last year, and it was fabulous! Natalie is a dancer and knows how backstage works and knows Akila well also. Can't wait for it to be over.

1 comment:

GB's Mom said...

The challenges increase exponentially in middle school and high school, but I am sure you are up to them. If you need a pick-me-up, remember you have only one RADish. Our first dance recital isn't until the 19th. It is so not me and I was wondering how I ended up involved in it :)