Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mommy therapy, cheap

Yesterday was a great day. I did something I have wanted to do for at least 15 years. When I was in junior high, I bought a canoe with my babysitting money. In college, it was stolen. I loved canoeing, I always found it so peaceful and relaxing.

Before kids, a few times, Michael and I went canoeing down the St. Croix river and it was totally awesome- I especially love canoeing down rivers. But I have always wanted to kayak. I use to ask for kayaking lessons when we lived by Lake Nokomis as I use to see some group doing it there all the time. I don't know why, doesn't seem like you really need lessons, but it looked like fun. I asked for them for my birthday for years. Never got them. Poor me. :( haha.

A few weeks ago, I posted a status on Facebook asking if anyone has a kayak I could borrow. One friend said yes. On Sunday evening I texted her asking if I could use it yesterday and she agreed. Yesterday was a gorgeous day in Minnesota. I picked up the kayak, shoved it inside my minivan, drove it to Cedar Lake, and spent the day kayaking between the lakes- by MYSELF.

It was awesome. It was just what the Dr. ordered. It was just what I needed. It was a mental health day for mommy. I got nothing done, and I don't feel guilty about it. Even better, after bedtime, I went to the hospital and hung out with my Mad Mommy friends- icing on the cake. Got home after 1:30 am, and don't even care. Today is like my Monday this week.

I told Michael that when he gets a job, I would like to find a kayak on Craig's List by next summer I loved it so much. We could rent a spot at Cedar Lake which is where we swim all the time. Anybody want to go in on it with me? It could be a co-op kayak? haha. Not a bad idea! Great therapy, healthy, good for you, much cheaper than real therapy in the long run!

Disclaimer: I must admit, I can barely lift my arms today. Very sore. Will not be blow drying my hair, that is for sure!!!!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

AWESOME!!!
I think has a my bro has a kayak that is at my folks house...close to you. I will check with him, but I am sure he would be happy for you to use it as well :)

Mommy Linda's said...

What a great idea! Exercise, outdoors, quiet! Perfect! I think I might take my canoe out with hubby some time soon.

In the meantime, my cheap therapy is quilting, knitting, sewing, and crocheting. Actually, anything that is repetitive and has a finish. And even with the cost of materials, it still is cheaper than $100 a week for an hour session. Being a mom of challenging kids, things rarely get done. Dishes need to be washed, the laundry done, the house cleaned, the kids taught. By doing arts and crafts, I not only get the joy of creating something, but I can keep looking at them, enjoying the completion of something beautiful.

Kelly Heagle WArd said...

Would totally go in on the Kayak! Glad you had some time to unwind. Have been thinking about you and your current journey so much over the past few days. Peace...
Kelly