Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Walking in the sleet

Akila is on the edge this week, teetering on the brink of raging and violence. Tonight, she lost it and got a little too smack happy with me. I had to restrain her. Our PCA was here during the excitement, and was able to help.

Often, when a restraint ends, we end up in another one shortly thereafter. Sometimes, we are able to get her off track, off of whatever she is stuck on and led to the rage. Not often enough, but sometimes.

Tonight, I tried to distract her with the weather. We have had an odd winter in Minnesota, hardly any snow. In Minneapolis, we were suppose to get a huge snowstorm this week, but as each day went by, the forecasters lessened the predictions. It has actually been raining and sleeting tonight. Very strange.

I pointed out the sleet, she said a few nasty things to me. I randomly suggested we go for a walk in the sleet. She didn't like the idea. I said I was going to go for one and just put my coat on and left. She of course followed.

The sidewalks were a bit slippery from all of the sleet, so we walked down the block and I tried to get her to skate on the sidewalk. At first, she was acting yucky and like she didn't want to be there. But she warmed up. We also tipped our heads back to try and taste the sleet. She was convinced it tasted salty and was ocean water. I went along with her.

Then when we got home, and were totally soaking wet by the way (hoping the winter coats and boots dry by tomorrow- better get them in the dryer actually), I had her help me shovel off the sleet that was on our steps and our neighbors steps and put some salt down. I shoveled, she salted.

Some nights, I am too burnt out, tired, or lazy to think of something this great to distract her. I am thankful that the Lord was watching and gave me the necessary tools to ensure the entire night was not a disaster.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Great strategy to break the tension. Great mom. ♥

Megan said...

You are a great mom! Yes, some nights we are too tired and burned out to run the extra marathon it takes to de-escalate...what a precious gift of grace to be able to take the time and patience to walk in the sleet with Akila.

I am praying for you, for patience, grace and wisdom every day!